Re: fixing in oldstable before unstable (was Re: Wheezy update of tre?)

On 20.10.2016 17:15, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 04:52:07PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> Fixing bugs in unstable or any other suite in Debian is not a part of
>> Wheezy LTS.
>
> yes, but it should be! That was entirely the point of my mail.

Yes, I got that. And my point was that it should not be mandatory.

> Of course it's more work and of course it might be difficult.

It's not just about "more work", it is mainly about how you define the
scope of a long term support release. We have paid and unpaid
contributors. You can't force volunteers to work on something. By
declaring it mandatory to fix bugs in unstable, you increase their
workload and make it less likely that someone will fix a bug in Wheezy LTS.

As for paid contributors: They are paid to keep Wheezy secure and to
support users of this distribution. Of course you can extend the scope
of Wheezy LTS to unstable but then you need to ask all involved parties,
especially the sponsors, if they agree with this change. You get paid
for repairing my car if you repair my other car too, just doesn't work.

> But if it's not been done, the fix might get lost and your work was void.

Why would the work get lost? The patch for Wheezy won't vanish and a fix
for unstable is often a totally different issue.