Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

Am 29.02.2016 um 18:04 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> Matthias Klose, the OpenJDK maintainer, stated that he intends to
>> support OpenJDK 6 until Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL in April 2017 [1] and I
>> think it should be feasible to mirror this approach for Wheezy LTS
>> provided everyone agrees to keep OpenJDK 6 supported until then.
>
> I have no objection but I also don't see the point of supporting
> something only half of the LTS period.

Fair enough. Then let's focus on the switch to make OpenJDK 7 the
default in Wheezy LTS.

>> We discussed the switch to OpenJDK 7 last month [2] and I think the
>> problematic packages are only those that strictly depend on
>> openjdk-6-jre like tunnelx and rcran-r-java. Everything else that
>> declares an alternative dependency on java6-runtime or default-jre
>> should be fine because OpenJDK 7 provides these dependencies.
>
> I suggest that we can already fix those, possibly via
> wheezy-proposed-updates so that they are fixed before the last
> wheezy point release.

I will handle the switch to OpenJDK 7 and coordinate this with the
Debian Release Team. I have updated https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/TODO
accordingly.

>> In addition I would also suggest to add Tomcat 6 to the list of
>> unsupported packages when it is declared EOL on December 31, 2016 [3]
>> and recommend the switch to Tomcat 7.
>
> OK. Then we should probably have some "Wheezy LTS release notes" where we
> can add some recommendations like "Use Tomcat 7 if you want security
> support until the end of Wheezy LTS because Tomcat 6 will be EOL on
> 2016-12-31."
>
> We could then also document the situation of OpenJDK 6.
>
> And we should also fix debian-security-support to be able to document well
> in advance that some packages won't be supported past a given date...
> right now I don't think that the software takes the EOL date into account.

I transformed these suggestions into TODO items on
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/TODO. Everyone feel free to work on this and
don't forget to claim the task by adding your names behind it.

Regards,

Markus