Re: Upgrading from Debian 6.0 LTS to 7

On 2016-02-20 20:46, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

Probably it would be enough to do the following: at first to update as
much as possible with the actual "squeeze-lts" entry, following by
changing all "squeeze-lts" and "squeeze" entries to "wheezy" and
update/upgrade it again in some way of a 'safe upgrade' (there is some
syntax on the web how to do that, and that step will upgrade only the
kernel parts of the system), and finally to do full upgrade again (all
the rest packages in the system).

For upgrading _to_ squeeze, I believe the recommendation was to apt-get update && apt-get install linux-image... etc. as one of the earliest steps, probably due to udev and initrd finicky bits.

For the systems I've upgraded from squeeze to wheezy, I've essentially followed the bog standard instructions:

Commented out the squeeze-lts entry, and added wheezy entries:

deb http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.no.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

After that:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Pay attention to any errors and warnings, and if successful, followup with:

apt-get dist-upgrade

However, the devil is in the details of "pay attention".

One system failed to update initrd and also failed to install Grub 2 properly, which resulted in an unbootable system. Using a Wheezy USB disk in rescue mode solved that quickly enough.

Additionally, pay very close attention to all config files that are changed; several of these need a bit of manual editing to get services back up and running.
Jan