Re: Preparing to announce Squeeze LTS end-of-life

On 12/02/2016, Miroslav Skoric <skoric@uns.ac.rs> wrote:
> On 02/10/2016 10:17 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>

>> so, are you prepared for valentine's day massacre?
>>

> Actually not: It is Wheezy (7.9) now, and I predict its valentine's day
> massacre to approach in few years. Btw, when is the end of life for
> Wheezy LTS?
>
>> or have you tried something like memory upgrade?
>>
>> I notice slowdown when logging to lxde after upgrading to jessie,
>> however I think most of problems aren't related to HW performance, I
>> remember ~18 tears ago when installing dnsmasq locally speed up my
>> computer much.
>>

> Well, it's an 1999-year machine, 224 meg RAM, Celeron 400 MHz. I do not
> plan to waste $$$ for an upgrade. As long as it works I'll keep it as
> is. Interestingly, while that box was running Squeeze LTS, I found xfce
> to be the fastest GUI (compared to lxde and gnome). Now with Wheezy,
> Gnome is the speediest. It's slow but works.

Have you tried the MATE desktop?

I do not know how the different desktops compare, in terms of speed,
but, it could be worth trying MATE - I expect that it would be faster
than GNOME. But, I am not an expert or anything like that.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."