Re: using existing workflows?

On Sun, 2016-12-18 at 18:48 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> In working with the ImageMagick package, I noticed that the maintainer
> uses gitpkg's debian/source/git-patches system to factor in upstream
> patches in Debian. We haven't used this so far in the wheezy upload so I
> kept working that way, especially since i'm not very familiar with that
> system. I do wonder, however, if we should respect existing systems like
> this, especially in the case (like here) where the package is under
> collab-maint.
>
> Are we expected to learn the package-specific workflows like those when
> maintaining packages in LTS?

We should probably try do so, within reason.  Where the regular
maintainer(s) also contribute to LTS, then other LTS maintainer should
definitely try to follow their process.

> I had a similar situation with the Nagios3 package where I lost precious
> time re-learning dpatch, to my horror. I wonder if it wouldn't have been
> simpler to just convert that thing to quilt, especially since the
> maintainer did exactly that in jessie. Since the previous LTS upload
> kept using dpatch, I plowed on with a horrible hack (yay: rm in a dpatch
> script!), but I did wonder if i would have saved time just doing the
> conversion.

I've converted packages in LTS from dpatch to quilt in the case where
the current version uses quilt.  No-one's objected to this yet.

Assuming that dpatch is only used with real patches (they can be
arbitrary scripts!), this can be done fairly quickly.  In fact I just
found that there is a script for this in the quilt package, 'deb3'.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein