Re: CVE-2016-9013 / django-python

On Fri, 2016-11-04 at 08:31 +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Looking at CVE-2016-9013 for django-python in wheezy-security, I see
> that:
>
> * It only occurs if you run the tests on an Oracle server.
> * The window for exploitation is reduced if you don't use the --keepdb
>   option. Not sure why you would want to use this option on a production system.
> * A test user is created on the Oracle server with a known password. Bad.
> * If you used the --keepdb option, the upstream patch doesn't "fix"
>   existing installs. Fix must be done manually and doesn't require the patch.
>
> In porting the patch across, I found it doesn't port easily. So the
> patch basically needs to be recreated. Shouldn't be too hard really - it
> is simple to understand. However I don't have an Oracle server to test
> the resultant patch against.
>
> So just wondering if anybody uses django-python with Oracle, and if this
> security fix warrants getting fixed in wheezy-security.
>
> Maybe this warrants a security advisory without a patch? Is that even
> possible?

I'm not convinced this even warrants a security advisory.  So far as I
can see, the old behaviour:
- is not triggered by normal usage, and cannot be triggered by a
  malicious user
- is documented, and can be overridden:
  <https://sources.debian.net/src/python-django/1.4.5-1%2Bdeb7u16/docs/ref/settings.txt/#L669>

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The world is coming to an end.	Please log off.