Re: Security update of firefox-esr for Wheezy

On 02/09/16 08:39, Guido Günther wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 01:26:05AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

>>> The problematic part is likely libstdc++. I would expect the new gcc to
>>> assume that you have the corresponding libstdc++.
>>>
>>> Mike once told that Firefox has special code to avoid the increased
>>> dependency but that might not be the case of other packages that we might
>>> want to build with a newer gcc.
>>
>> I had a look at this. Matthias pointed me to gcc-mozilla from Ubuntu, which is
>> GCC 4.8.4 shipped in one package. I built that for Wheezy, then built
>> firefox_49.0~b1-1 using that. I had to disable PIE, but other than that it built
>> fine and seems to work well. So I think we could go this route.
>>
>> For GCC at least we need to drop the gfdl bits, and we may want to update to
>> 4.8.5, but in general it seems to work well. I was hitting a build failure that
>> I could workaround by using an interactive shell. No idea if it's a pbuilder
>> problem or what. That would need a little investigation.
>>
>> For Firefox, I didn't look much at the PIE issue. I just saw that it fails on a
>> simple configure test when enabled, at the linker stage. With pie disabled,
>> everything went well.
>
> That sounds great. Did you put the packages somewhere? I don't think we'll
> run into any extra issues with Icedove but it might be worth checking
> this out before the current ESR versions go EOL.

Packages are at https://people.debian.org/~pochu/lts/gcc/

gcc-mozilla is the one from [1], but putting it here for convenience (you can't
dget from launchpad). Let me know if it works for you or if you have any issues.

Cheers,
Emilio

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-mozilla