Re: Xen i386 support on Debian wheezy-LTS

On 2016-06-20 07:38, Brian May wrote:
> According to Bastian Blank the the fix for XSA 173 breaks i386
> support. The HVM domains die immediately due to a triple fault.
> His working theory is that invalid bits slip into the initial
> page table of the domain. He is recommending that we drop support
> for i386 in order that we can continue patching Xen in wheezy
> with the latest security
>> - make 32-bit hvm unsupported or
>> - drop 32-bit hypervisor altogether.

I got the impression that:-
* i386 hypervisor support is a key use of Xen-4.1.
* PV mode used more in older installs.

I definitely think there is a case for supporting
i386 hypervisor for PV guests, even if HVM may become
unsupportable (e.g. also due to QEMU patching, though
apparently QEMU could be swapped for newer more supportable
version without too much trouble).

--Simon