Re: Call for tests: Making OpenJDK 7 the default in Wheezy LTS

[dropping Rene from CC because he is subscribed to debian-java]

Am 17.05.2016 um 17:56 schrieb Antoine Beaupré:
> On 2016-04-25 06:34:53, Markus Koschany wrote:
[...]
>> We don't intend to remove OpenJDK 6 but it will receive no further
>> security updates.
>
> .. starting from june?

Starting from the start of the LTS cycle.

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/debian-security-support.git/tree/security-support-ended.deb7

> Because there *are* issues on OpenJDK-6 *now*: should they be triaged
> out of there, or will they actually be fixed in an gigantic upload at
> the end of the day?
>
> https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/openjdk-6
>
> a, which his frontdesk hat.

No, the whole point of making OpenJDK 7 the default implementation is
that we can drop the support for OpenJDK 6. Even upstream (Red Hat)
recommends to use OpenJDK 7 for long term use now. I have done
everything possible to make users aware of the change. At the moment we
are in a grace period because we don't want to surprise admins who, for
instance, run Tomcat or Jetty. But by now they should know that OpenJDK
6 is unsupported and that we strongly recommend to switch to OpenJDK 7.
On 26 June we simply complete this process by making OpenJDK 7 the default.

Regards,

Markus