Re: [SECURITY] [DLA 359-1] MySQL 5.5 packages added; end of support for MySQL 5.1

Hello,

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015, Artur wrote:
> First let me thank you all involved in Debian LTS. :)

Thanks!

> 16/12/2015 11:51, Holger Levsen wrote :
> >>     apt-get install mysql-server-5.5
> >>     apt-get install mysql-client-5.5
> > Now I'm confused :) The mysql-client and mysql-server shall be upgraded too?
>
> I understood we have to upgrade the Mysql server to 5.5 version.
> However I can't see why or why not upgrade the client to 5.5.
> Can somebody explain if there is any drawback to upgrade to 5.5 client
> and if there is any drawback to continue with the current 5.1 version,
> please ?

AFAIK there is no known drawback in both cases.

However the old mysql client is no longer supported in term of security
updates so it's best to use the 5.5 one. But vulnerabilities affecting
the client are much less common and have a much lower impact so it's not
as important as the server upgrade.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer