Re: Fwd: Re: TLSv1.2 needed in Debian 6 LTS

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 18:23 +0100, Disch Services GmbH wrote:

> Am 02.02.2015 um 17:12 schrieb Jan Ingvoldstad:
> > > But Ubuntu 12 LTS has OpenSSL which supports TLSv1.2 and PFS.
> > >
> > Debian Squeeze was feature-frozen in August 2010, one and a half
> > year before Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. That is, it was feature-frozen while
> > Ubuntu 10.04 was the current Ubuntu version.
> >
> > If you want to compare Ubuntu 12 LTS with a Debian release, the
> > closest we've got is Wheezy.
> >
> > > Furthermore I discovered mail services of my clients that only
> > > support TLSv1.2 - and because of this, encrypted e-mail
> > > communication fails. And, from IT security point of view, I can
> > > only recommend a service or a software to my clients that obeys
> > > the protective legal requirements. Additionally I think that the
> > > supported encryption protocol is a security issue!
> > >
> > > To sum this up: we need Debian 6 LTS with TLSv1.2 (i.e. with a
> > > recent OpenSSL implemenation).
> > >
> > I agree that it would be nice, but the writing has been on the wall
> > regarding which Debian release you should look to for TLS and PFS
> > support since Wheezy was frozen in 2012.
> >
> No, the point is the claim that Debain 6 LTS has 5 year support until
> mid. 2016.

With a limited subset of package and architectures, and subject to
developers being available to do this.

> And as a user I expect Debian 6 LTS is up-to-date (from security point
> of view) until mid. 2016.  But with missing TLSv1.2 it is NOT.
> Nevertheless when the code freeze was.

Please adjust your expectations accordingly.

> > I think you'd be better served by migrating to Wheezy or Jessie.
> Really?  With the customer projects there is no budget for migration
> to a new release.

Is there budget for paying for LTS?  Or for paying fines for non-
compliance with new security requirements?  I think they're going to
have to pay for one of these three things, and you should make sure they
understand that.

> The migration is planned in early summer 2016.  And the migration
> would not be straight-forward, because Linux Virtual Server support
> was dropped with Debian 7 and some important concepts have changed in
> Linux Containers.

What makes you think Linux Virtual Server is supported in squeeze LTS?
We haven't updated the vserver patch for over 3 years.  Some developers
are rebasing their patch against 2.6.32.y, but I reported a regression
in 2012 <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.vserver/19267> and never
heard any response and this has not been fixed upstream.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by stupidity.