Re: Using the same nss in all suites

Hi Moritz,
On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:04:33PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:58:19AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Guido Günther:

> > > But is this worse than backporting? In this case conservative would be
> > > good for what we want to do.
> >
> > Yes, for mere backporting of new versions, this can be helpful.
>
> OTOH, new Iceweasel ESR releases also deprecate insecure crypto features,
> so doing the same in nss seems somewhat acceptable to me.
>
> We could move to new NSS releases in point releases and ask people to
> test these new packages from stable-proposed-updates (And continue to
> use isolated patches for security updates).

I think that makes sense for the current stable release and since we're
much closer to upstream, using isolated patches between point releases
should become simpler too.

For LTS we would then use new nss versions after a point release with
the next round of security updates (until we have point releases for LTS
as well).

One thing though is that we don't have a DSA for announcing the new
nss version in the point release but we don't have this for other
packages either. Did this turn out to be problematic for other packages
in the past that switch to new version in a point release?

Mike, do you have a opinion on this one or do care at all?

If this is the way forward I'll ask the release team if they're
o.k. with this.

Cheers,
 -- Guido