Re: Further Review Of MySQL 5.5 Packages [1]

El 09/12/15 a las 19:18, Scott Kitterman escribió:
> On December 9, 2015 2:51:47 PM EST, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> >What's wrong with "apt-get install mysql-server-5.5" ?
> >
> >Those intermediary packages will be manually installed and might cause
> >troubles in future upgrades... even if the description invites users to
> >uninstall them. I would prefer if the instructions we gave invited
> >users
> >to install just the packages that they need.
> >
> >We really mostly care about vulnerabilities in the server and as such
> >we must recommend users to upgrade the server, if they keep using the
> >old client it's not a big deal IMO.
>
> Running a local server and client and they are different versions doesn't cause
> a problem? If not, then I agree about not including the upgrade package and
> giving instructions in the DLA.
>
> Scott K

I'm not sure understanding the question.  If you mean running both
client and server on the same machine, the answer is you cannot use
packages from different versions.

My comment was about users that have mysql-client and -server running on
different machines.

Anyway, if these transition packages might give more trouble, I'd prefer
to remove them too. The simpler, the better.

Santiago