Re: Debian squeeze LTS, a last release

On 27/05/2015, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 26 May 2015, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>> There's so many packages in LST now, and squeeze are good choice for
>> servers.. and many many older desktop hardware that jesee or wheeze does
>> not able to run..
>>
>> Debian team will be made a lasted release of squeeze withj the lts
>> updates
>> included?
>
> There are no such plans, sorry. You will continue to have to apply
> all updates from squeeze-lts after having installed a fresh squeeze
> server.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

My understanding is that, in the installation procedure for any Debian
system, the first thing to do after the system installation is
completed, is to update the system.

Therefore, as I have just done a new Debian 6 installation, the
procedure that I followed, is this;

1. Install Debian 6 system (I used CD1 of the Debian Linux 6.0.7 set)
2. edit /etc/apt/sources.list, to change the mirrors to the
recommended mirrors for Debian 6 LTS
3. run
apt-get update
, followed by
apt-get upgrade
(although, this, in itself, was a problem, due to some entries in the
changelog, for wget and postgresql, that caused the procedure to hang,
and needed a workaround)
4. install any additional, wanted packages

Thus, whilst an "LTS set of iso images" may not be available, the
procedure above, is simple enough, and, does not take any extra time
(apart from editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file, which is only a
few minutes), over what a normal installation procedure would involve
(apart from the problem with the changelog causing the procedure to
hang).

I suggest that, therefore, this solves the problem.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."