Re: squeeze update of eglibc

On Sat, 2015-02-28 at 21:02 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I've started preparing an update to eglibc, fixing the many open
> security issues of lower severity than those fixed recently.
>
> I didn't yet had time to test it properly, so I've uploaded my work to
> <https://people.debian.org/~benh/packages/squeeze-lts/> so others can
> test further and maybe complete the update.  The version number there is
> 2.11.3-4+deb6u5~benh.1 but the real update should be 2.11.3-4+deb6u5.
>
> There don't appear to be any regressions in compiler warnings, and
> nothing went obviously wrong when I installed the new libraries in a VM.
>
> However, for the current version, 2.11.3-4+deb6u4, the build log shows 1
> unexpected test suite failure for each of the library configurations:
>
>         Encountered regressions that don't match expected failures:
>         bug-regex32.out, Error 1
>
> while for my version, 2.11.3-4+deb6u5~benh.1, there were several more:
>
>         [i386]
>         Encountered regressions that don't match expected failures:
>         bug-regex32.out, Error 1
>         tst-cancel4.out, Error 1
>         tst-cancel5.out, Error 1
>         tst-nice.out, Error 1
[...]

I now understand all the regressions:

- tst-nice failed because I run pbuilder with 'nice -19' and the test
  process then can't change its niceness.  It passes without this.
- tst-cancel4 (and the three variants compiled in different ways) fails
  as the minimum kernel socket buffer size is now larger than it
  assumes.   I cherry-picked a fix from glibc git and it now passes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein