Re: proposed fix for ppp CVE-2014-3158

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 01:36 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 16, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet+debian@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > I've prepared a a fix for CVE-2014-3158, an integer overflow potentially
> > permitting a user in the dip group to abuse the privileges of the setuid
> > root pppd binary by supplying a very, very long options line in
> > ~/.ppprc.
> Is this actually known to be exploitable?

This is the one bit I haven't proven yet.  I didn't have the patience to
generate a 2G config line to test, but it will read the user's .ppprc
file while setuid.

The variable the user could overflow is on the stack, so I'm assuming
all the usual stack smashing attacks apply.

> If you believe that it is worth fixing then your changes look fine to
> me.

Thanks.  How do you wish to proceed?

Andrew Bartlett

--