Re: Debian contributors looking for paid work on Squeeze LTS

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 02:15:13PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as a follow up to my former mail[1], I'd like to know who is interested to
> be paid to contribute to Squeeze LTS. I am myself in this position and I
> believe that we should coordinate ourselves to have a clear offer to
> all the companies who are looking to financially support Squeeze LTS.

I think that makes a lot of sense (and it avoids duplicated work where
independant contractors collide).

Please CC team@security.debian.org for the initial discussion.

> simple and transparent for the customers. They see only one company (from
> the accounting point of view), one hourly rate, and have some regular
> feedback of the work done with their money.

There should be specific benefits to companies involved, e.g.
companies participating should be able to indicate interest in a specific
set of packages can be prioritised over other updates. Or allow customers
to contribute test suites/test cases which are run as part of the QA.

> We already have a 7-8 offers of financial help on this list, I'm sure we
> all have a few customers who could be interested as well, and I have some
> contacts with a hosting provider who would be glad to relay such a call
> for LTS support to all their Debian-using customers. So there's room to
> find more companies to contribute towards LTS support.

There were also a few sent to team@. Once the proposed setup is running
we can remaining contacts.

> Moritz (and other security team members), do you have any idea of how many
> man-days per month of available workforce would be ideal to do a proper
> job of maintaining squeeze-lts ?

That's difficult to judge. If someone compiles of list of all DSAs in 2014
for squeeze (minus the ones which are unsupported in squeeze-lts) we can
make a rough estimation based on that.

Cheers,
        Moritz