Re: Packages not supportable in squeeze-lts

Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > Sooner or later, we will also have to ask the question of the kernel and
> > hardware support. Upgrading to the wheezy kernel is workable, and some
> > specific packages such as nvidia-glx too, but for X.org this is another
> > story.
>
> This would be like a refresh of the etchnhalf kernel idea, I guess.
> Changing the default/only supported kernel crosses the line towards
> not being a stable supported release, IMO.

Not quite. etchnhalf was an additional kernel where patches needed to be backported to.

What could be done is to provide the wheezy kernel with the source package name
linux-3.2. This way it would benefit from all the security backports done for
wheezy-security.

Ubuntu does something similar, e.g. 12.04 has
linux-lts-quantal (3.5)
linux-lts-raring (3.8)
linux-lts-saucy (3.11)
linux-lts-trusty (3.13)