Re: Packages not supportable in squeeze-lts

Le samedi 17 mai 2014 à 10:44 +0200, Christoph Biedl a écrit :
> Agreed. You get a 2010 Linux, it might run on 2015-ish hardware but
> don't hold your breath.

When you have a 2010 application (and I mean a 1995 application last
rebuilt in 2010) and the only thing you can buy is 2015 hardware, you
have to make do :)

> Now I'm curious about the sites that have huge installations and
> reported interest in squeeze-lts: How does your hardware setup look
> like? Do you still deploy new boxes with that old Debian installed? Or
> has everything been virtualized so newer kernels are not required, at
> least not for hardware support?

We buy workstation-grade (mobile and desktop) machines, which are based
on hardware that works very well on Linux. Most of the hardware can be
supported out of the box or by backporting the drivers provided by the
vendor.

The main issue, of course, is with graphics drivers. For all the time
I’ve worked at EDF, we’ve only bought nVidia hardware and used
proprietary drivers. This works well because they are easier to backport
than regular X, and 3D performance is critical.

We are looking into generalized use of chroots to allow for a more
agressive update policy, so that only specialized applications are held
back, and not the whole system. Overall we have more trouble getting
e.g. an old NM to do modern network things than to get the old OS work
on modern hardware.

--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :