Why must LSB go? Is it no longer a priority for Debian to be open?

Debian is meant to be an open system. That means dropping LSB makes it harder for software developers to write programs for multiple distros! It also makes a hit on users. Like what if someone had a linux program and they wanted to switch to Debian? They wouldn't be happy as their programs aren't working. I am a loyal Debian user. Just why does LSB need to go? And why is this a good decision? Debian is what I'm most familiar with. I would hate to have to find another distro.