Re: Debian LSB compliance

On 07/03/15 07:28, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> We're also not checking this because the LSB compatibility of
> Debian releases has never been a topic and I don't see anyone
> asking a library maintainer to stay at an older version and/or
> maintain a patch series to keep this compatibility [2]. By the way,
> the only organism that I know is regularly checking Debian's LSB
> compatibility, is the Linux Foundation [3]. They haven't tried
> Jessie yet apparently.
>
> (There _exists_ a Distribution Checker, but last I looked, it was
> an intense headache to setup.)
>
> The crux of the issue is, I think, whether this whole game is worth
> the work: I am yet to hear about software distribution happening
> through LSB packages [4]. There are only _8_ applications by 6
> companies on the LSB certified applications list [5], of which only
> one is against LSB >= 4. Amongst the distributions, RHEL 7.0 is
> LSB4.1, and Oracle 6, RHEL 6.0 and Ubuntu 9.04 are LSB 4.
>
> As a data point, I've just noticed that the Linux Foundation issued
>  LSB 5.0 and FHS 3.0 [6] just yesterday. But that doesn't change
> the arguments, I think.

The current distribution checker is actually quite easy to set up,
it's just a package to install and off you go, answer a few questions
through a web interface. Should you have the patience to fire off 10+
hours of tests and then want to look at them. You would need that for
"compliance" which has never directly been a Debian goal, as you say.

To answer the level of questions you bring up (existence of required
libs/interfaces/commands) you actually need just two simple tools -
lsb-libchk and lsb-cmdchk.  LSB has a repository which contains these
at http://ftp.linuxbase.org/pub/lsb/repositories/debian/pkgs-5.0/ (or
4.1, or...)

This is not to talk you out of your arguments, which make plenty of
sens, just to inform that the basic level of checking is pretty simple.

-- mats