Re: RM: lsb-build-cc3 -- RoQA; obsolete, unmaintained

On 05/30/2012 09:08 AM, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Debian FTP Masters wrote:
>>
>>> as the package lsb-build-cc3 has just been removed from the Debian
>>> archive
>>> unstable we hereby close the associated bug reports.
>> [...]
>>> For details on the removal, please see http://bugs.debian.org/674792
>>
>> Does this mean that Debian no longer packages the tools to build LSB
>> apps, or is there some other effort being made to make that possible
>> again?
>
> I have actually been meaning to request the removal of this package, and
> several other ones which are closely related to it. I've had a lot of
> trouble getting useful source releases from upstream, and I'm not aware
> of anyone actually using these packages anyway. It seemed that the effort
> to continue maintaining them is greater than any benefit anyone is gaining
> from them.

can't comment on how much they're used.
upstream is trying to make tarballs available, but somehow the
infrastructure keeps breaking down and the raw tarballs vanish all the
time (source rpm's from which the tarball can be extracted seem to be
fairly reliably saved)

> If anyone is interested in adoping this package, and the ones related to
> it, please get in touch with me, and we'll make it happen. The complete
> list of related packages is:
>
>     lsb-appchk3
>     lsb-build-base3
>     lsb-build-cc3
>     lsb-pkgchk3
>
> If anyone wants to create LSB 4 versions of these, please feel free to
> do so.
> I'll be glad to share my experinces of having maintained the LSB 2 and
> LSB 3
> versions, and hopefully steer you away from a couple of mistakes I made in
> how I did these packages.

note that all of the above packages are intended by upstream to be
"version independent" - that is, you can take the most recent release
and use it to target any earlier version of LSB.