Re: LSB conform init script (impossible?)

>On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
>wrote:
>> Instead of using echo, it would be nice if the script used log_*
>> functions instead, to make the messages show up when using graphical
>> splash/progress bar screens.  I do not know how these functions work
>> on the other distributions.
>
>Note that the more advanced logging functions we provide aren't in the
>LSB, although I think they'd be useful for other distributions as
>well.  The only portable functions are
>log_{success,failure,warning}_message, which don't provide Debian
>policy conforming behavior (notification of progress, etc.).
>
>On the failures, as Otavio suggested I'm going to need something to go
>on beyond "it doesn't work" to diagnose the problems.

Hello Chris,

the script itsself (from the first mail)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-lsb/2008/07/msg00000.html

can be used for debugging. Maybe it can be used for a skeleton.lsb/
example or something.

regards,

Martin

PS: My experience with lsb conformance on redhat:
I said that it works on fc9, but redhat needed _years_ until they
provided a working lsb version.
First they simply used aliase, which didnt work at all, then
they reworked it and made a typo:

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2007-0590.html

which was fixed NOV 2007. (!)
But after that its running ok, but all distribution before that did not
work with LSB.
The result is, that I still need to provide special init scripts
for redhat, because older distributions are not compatible.
I didnt test other distributions..
(LSB 1.0 was released June 29, 2001.)