Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Le jeudi 18 septembre 2008 à 17:29 -0400, Thomas Dickey a écrit :
agree - I don't know how to guarantee that five years from now there'd
be no ABI change - the best I can do is maintain API compatibility.

You can maintain ABI compatibility by using opaque structures by using
constructor/getter/setter/destructor functions, from the very beginning.

(a) the details under discussion don't fall into that category

(b) ncurses-current provides a feature for opaque WINDOW struct,
whose default could be made part of the Debian flags, but has the
potential for breaking existing code.

(c) the beginning of ncurses is well before the current thread...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net