Re: problem linking C++ app against libX11

Jeff Licquia wrote:
Antonio wrote:
Hi all.
I'm using debian etch (r2) together with lsb-sdk-3.1.1-5.ia32.
I set /opt/lsb/bin/lsbc++ as the compiler. Compilation goes ok,
but at link time I get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: dynamic variable `XSynchronize' is zero size
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libFOX-1.6.a(FXApp.o)(.text+0x3972): unresolvable R_386_PC32 relocation against symbol `XSynchronize'
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output

Note that I've already succesfully compiled libFOX by means of lsbc++.
I've read this is a bug in lsb-3.1, with a patch in 3.2 not backported to 3.1.
How can I solve this?

I'm trying to use 'lsb-3.1 + statically linked fox' solution for distributing
not too big 'portable' binaries of applications with a GUI.
I can't use lsb-3.2 as it seems to be to be still in development,
and not supported by current distros.

Hmm, didn't see this at first.

The bug you mentioned doesn't come to mind, offhand. Do you have a link to the bug, or to more information about it?
Jeff - bug 1591.

Antonio - LSB 3.2 is released, and was designed so it wouldn't take a lot for a distribution to support, and with the addition of Perl, Python, a couple of cups libraries and the alsa library, a system that supports 3.1 should also support
3.2 (all those were chosen at versions that all 3.1 distros already supply).
They do, however, have to support the package manager depend lsb=3.2 for
you not to have to play installation games, so yes "formal" support is still lacking.