Re: lsb packages and apt-get

Dan Kegel wrote:
I would like to start distibuting software as .lsb packages
to Red Hat and Ubuntu users at my site.  We use apt-get
for both Red Hat and Ubuntu to distribute all our packages,
so using apt-get to download and install .lsb packages seems
like a natural.

Has anybody worked on making that possible?

If not, any objections if I work on it?

Hi, Dan.  I didn't see an answer to this... sounds like this
would be a cool thing to work on, I haven't really seen a
way to automate the process from the dpkg side.  Seems like
there may still be some lurking alien bugs although I don't
have the precise proof, but I recall converting some of
the LSB test pkgs on Ubuntu recently and getting things in
weird paths, not running scripts, etc.  I'm not convinced
the "if it's an LSB package, it's okay to keep the install-time
scripts" logic (alien -c) isn't still fragile. I know others
have run these tests more formally so perhaps this was really
operator error (wouldn't be the first time). It would probably
be beneficial to flush out the full story on that first
("first" he says, a month after the original message :-)

-- mats