Woody progress

I've come to a point in woody testing that it might be productive to
discuss what updates to woody might be appropriate, if any, to bring it
into compliance with the LSB.  This note documents my progress, and the
changes that need to be made, as a point for discussion.

In my testing of woody against the LSB test suite, and creation of tests
that will bring woody into compliance, the following tests are
outstanding as of my last report:

/tset/LI18NUX2K.L1/utils/join/join 3 FAIL
/tset/LI18NUX2K.L1/utils/join/join 4 FAIL
/tset/LI18NUX2K.L1/utils/shell/shell 8 FAIL
/tset/LI18NUX2K.L1/utils/unexpand/unexpand 1 FAIL
/tset/LSB.os/files/dev_tty/T.dev_tty 1 UNRESOLVED
/tset/LSB.os/ipc/shmdt/T.shmdt 2 FAIL

Of these, I've added a patch for the shell failure.  The join and
unexpand failures may be waived, and the dev_tty problem may be bogus,
or at least work-around-able.  As for shmdt, I'm still locating the
exact patch that will fix that problem.

This means that woody may be in a position to pass the LSB test suite
soon.

I've generated patches to packages in woody which contain the updates
needed to get to this point.  So far, there are updates to the following
source packages:

  bash 2.0.5a-11
  cpio 2.4.2-39
  glibc 2.2.5-11.5
  grep 2.4.2-3
  pax 1.5-12
  sed 3.02-8

In addition, I've used kernel-source-2.4.18 2.4.18-13 as the basis for
kernel packages containing my changes.  The configuration comes from the
kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc package.  My patch to the kernel is also
available above.

Finally, I've updated alien to version 8.36 as it appears in the pool.
The sarge package appears to install and work without any trouble on
woody.

I expect that an additional kernel patch, and possibly a glibc patch,
will be necessary to fix the shmdt problem.  If the join and unexpand
tests are not waived, fixing them will require a patch to textutils,
which is in progress.

To my knowledge, all of the patches above have been accepted by upstream
with the following exceptions:

 - The bash patch is my own work; it adds the [[:hyphen:]] character
class to bash 2.05a.

 - If the textutils patch is needed, it will come from the OpenI18N
patch, which has not been integrated.