Re: I18N coreutils patch seems to break head and tail

Hi,

On Mit, Okt 08, 2003 at 09:54:19 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> > I haven't had a chance to figure this out yet, but I thought
> > it prudent to report.
> >
> > I've been testing sarge with the i18n patch to coreutils 4.5.9
> > forward-ported to 5.0 and applied against coreutils 5.0-5.
>
> licquia@sargetest:~$ head -1 /etc/profile
> head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
>
> Hmm, we've seen this behavior within the LSB project but
> attributed it as something being enforced by the new
> coreutils.

This is the default behaviour with newer coreutils
when _POSIX_VERSION 200112L is set in /usr/include/unistd.h.
The latter is the case with newer glibcs.

See also
http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/debian-glibc-200308/msg00127.html

Since several scripts broke, SUSE desided to change unistd.h while
Debian/unstable desided to change the coreutils. Look at
changelog.Debian.gz (unstable):

coreutils (5.0.90-1) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * temporarily override posix version to 199209 so I can upload this package.
    need a transition plan. try setting the environment variable
    _POSIX2_VERSION on your system to "200112" and see how much breaks.
    I encourage debian developers to update their packages so the above works.

 -- Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>  Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:31:34 -0400

> It would be interesting information if it was
> actually caused by the i18n patch.  Please keep us up to date
> on what you discover.
I sincerely doubt this.

Tobias