Re: LSB vs. Debian Policy

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 08:13:22AM +0200, Martin Godisch wrote:
> http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt states:
>
>   Packages must not conflict with requirements of the LSB, v1.3. [...]
>   Basically, you should be LSB compatible. You can expect a bug report
>   to be filed if you're not, and if you don't know how to fix the
>   problem, you should email debian-lsb@lists.debian.org for assistance.
>
> What is the proper handling of LSB requirements, which contradict with
> the Debian Policy, e.g. bug #206928?

The LSB has two sets of requirements, one on distributions, one on LSB
packages. As a distribution, Debian needs to conform to the requirements
the LSB places on distributions, not the requirements the LSB places on
third-party packages.

Specifically, the behaviour of individual init scripts is a requirement
placed on LSB packages, not distributions; so Debian packages should
follow Debian policy.

HTH.

Cheers,
aj