Re: Does reporting bugs from inside the live CD work? -> not without additional configuration

On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 1:13 PM Roland Clobus - rclobus at rclobus.nl <rclobus_at_rclobus_nl_ajmfutlpl@simplelogin.co> wrote:
Hello Attilla,

On 26/11/2023 07:54, dubser@grey-panther.net wrote:
> I was directed to this list after my post on debian-users [1]. I would
> like to report two issues with the Debian LiveCD (specifically the
> debian-live-12.2.0-amd64-gnome.iso one):

[ snip question 1, answered in another thread ]

> 2) reporting a bug from inside the live environment using the
> reportbugscript with the cdimage.debian.org <http://cdimage.debian.org>
> meta-package, as described at https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> <https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting> doesn't seem to work. The
> script   said something about the email being sent from "localhost"
> (since this is a LiveCD, email accounts are not properly set up). I
> suspect that the email never went anywhere (even though there were no
> reported errors), because now it has been over a week and the bug still
> doesn't show up in the bugtracker.

I tried to reproduce you case. I'm using
debian-live-12.2.0-amd64-gnome.iso and in that image there is no
reportbug installed.

Where did the reportbug package come from?

I've installed reportbug (apt-get install reportbug) and tried to send a
bug (see transcript.txt). There were some red flags at the beginning,
which indicate that the bug might not be sent properly (silly e-mail
address of the user)
At the end, reportbug did not show errors from sendmail, but in
/var/mail/user it can be seen that the issue is not sent.

Reportbug specifically requested a configuration and additional sendmail
does not per default send mails outside its (on live CDs) unconfigured
domain.

So the short answer is: no, you cannot report a bug from inside the live
CD without additional configuration work.

Thank you for the detailed follow-up, as well as filing the bug and proposing a fix. Yes, I forgot to mention that I installed reportbug with apt-get.

All the best and happy holidays!

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus