packages being removed by 14remove-live-packages

Here's another weird thing I've discovered building a bookworm-based installer ISO using live-build @ 'debian/1%20230131'.

I have some hooks in my config/hooks/normal directories that download some deb files from the web and install them. However, I noticed after installation onto a system using my ISO the packages ended up not being installed. Looking at /var/log/installer/syslog, I determined that 14remove-live-packages was removing them. Opening a console during the installation process at the end near the preseed steps, I can see that /cdrom/live/filesystem.packages-remove contains a list basically just of the packages that I installed in my chroot.

So, what I don't understand is:

1. How are my packages ending up in /cdrom/live/filesystem.packages-remove during creation of the installer? It's not something I'm doing manually.
2. How can I prevent those packages from ending up in there so they're not removed during installation?

Thanks,

-SG