Re: mounting live ISO images, inodes and NFS

Hi,

Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> I gave it a quick test and manipulated two of the three ISOs according
> to your recipe:  Things work as expected after that.

We learn that one NFS export point cannot properly represent the combined
inode number spaces of multiple filesystems. I wonder what part of the
older Live ISOs' trees caused the inode numbers to differ sufficiently.

There is at least one drawback of the proposed hack.
The backup GPT survives but is not located at the end of the image any
more. One could use -boot_image "any" "replay" instead of "any" "keep".
This will create new partition tables - if xorriso recognizes the old one
and can replay it. (With Debian ISOs it should be ok.)

Further my proposal does not produce a new Joliet tree, which would be
useful for mounting the ISO on MS-Windows. One could add -joliet "on".

This run increases the resemblance of test.iso towards its original:

  xorriso -dev test.iso \
          -boot_image any replay \
          -joliet on \
          -padding included \
          -compliance no_emul_toc \
          -changes_pending yes

But if just the filesystem shall be mounted on Linux, then my previous
proposal suffices.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas