Re: i386 bookworm image

Hello,

On 6/11/23 2:45 PM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> Debian publishes installer images for this architecture, and one
> important use case of Live media is: To check the feasibility of an
> installation in that computer before formatting it (or upgrading to
> next OS version).
>
> When Debian stops supporting an architecture, then there will not be
> need for this use case.

Debian has never provided live images for all of its architectures, only supporting (as the website says) "the popular ones." As I understand it, live images require a lot more resources to create and test than normal ones, and what Jonathan is saying is that as i386 becomes a more niche architecture on actual hardware, where live images would be used, it isn't worth the resources needed to support their creation and testing. I wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of this decade, arm64 actually becomes more popular than i386 currently is on actual hardware, perhaps enough to get its own live image.

--
Ben Westover

P.S. Jonathan: I'm not subscribed to this list, so since you didn't CC me in your reply I didn't see it until I checked the web interface.