live-boot create "normal", non-live fully persistent raw disk images?

Hi!

TLDR:
Can live-boot create "normal", fully persistent raw disk images?

By fully fully persistent I mean similar to images usually created by grml-debootstrap, vmdebootstrap or similar where by default any file edited on the disk will persist. Not live mode, without the "persistent" boot parameter, without "lb_persistence", without persistence.conf, without squashfs, without separate persistent disk partition.

Long:

Here are the relevant options that I am already using.

lb config \
      --binary-filesystem ext4 \
      --chroot-filesystem ext4 \
      --binary-image hdd \
      --system normal

Then also manually removed the boot=live parameter after booting.

Maybe all I would need to do it provide an /etc/fstab?

Do I misunderstand the purpose of these options or is '--system normal' not yet complete? I cannot find a lot on the topic of '--system normal
'.

Why would I want to do this? The live-boot project is amazing, figured out lots of complex things, hybrid boot for legacy BIOS boot, EFI boot, SecureBoot, even reproducible builds are underway and plethora of other nice things. I was wondering if I could use live-boot to create both, VM images (fully persistent, non-live) as well as ISO images (live).

Cheers,
Patrick