Re: Questions from a new Debian Live Build user

On 12/02/2022 11:02, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Roland Clobus wrote:
The Debian installer installs from scratch, you can select any desktop
environment and other settings, even though they are not present on the
live image.
Calamares installs a copy of the live environment on your hard disk, and
removed the live part afterwards. That's why there are so few questions
asked.

So depending on the installer part, you might end up with totally
different Debian installations.

Sorry, but you're wrong here. The version of d-i that runs on a live
image *also* installs the exact content of the live image. It runs
through the normal process of user creation, partitioning, etc. but
then instead of installing the base system and running tasksel it
simply unpacks the squashfs onto the new system - see the
live-installer package if you're not sure.

If the d-i on the live image tried to install packages nowrmally, we'd
end up having to include a lot of extra .debs into the build to
support that.

Live-build config offers the option --debian-installer with choices of cdrom|netinst|netboot|businesscard|live|none . Of these I have only used "live", but wouldn't the other choices result in an iso that did download and install packages in the normal d-i way?

--
John