Re: Questions from a new Debian Live Build user

Hello Lucas,

On 11/02/2022 18:10, Lucas Krupinski wrote:
I’ve been experimenting with Live Build lately, and am now building my new images successfully for the most part. I do have a couple of questions, though:

1) When I use lb config to install the Debian installer, and then try to launch the installer from the Live Build, I get an error that the kernel versions of my live and normal builds don’t match. I thought the benefit of Live Build is that its a repeatable process, but some how I’m ending up with two different kernels?

The installer is totally separate from the regular live content. The installer is started directly from the boot menu. Occasionally the kernel version of the installer and the kernel version of Debian drift apart. I assume that you are creating live builds from bookworm.

If such a scenario happens, you can use 'lb config --debian-installer live' to use the daily build of the installer.

We are working on automating the detection of such a version drift, to keep the time you can only use the daily build of the installer to a minimum.

2) I’ve since abandoned trying to be able to install from the boot screen, have installed Calamares to do the installation, and its’ working great.

3) My next question is: I understand that Calamares installs the live image, whereas the Debian installer installs the “normal” image. If I’m only using Calamares, should I be using any “normal” hooks, or is it just adding time to the build if I’m replicating my steps between live and normal?

There is a difference:
The Debian installer installs from scratch, you can select any desktop environment and other settings, even though they are not present on the live image. Calamares installs a copy of the live environment on your hard disk, and removed the live part afterwards. That's why there are so few questions asked.

So depending on the installer part, you might end up with totally different Debian installations.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

PS: Shamelessly plugging my work. Take a look at https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleInstalls/LiveImages that has some additional information that can help you in generating a bit-for-bit identical image. PS2: I assume you already know of the online manual at https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/index.en.html