Re: Live Debian Image Boots on Some Systems not Others

Hello Adam,

On 31/12/2021 19:07, Adam Cue wrote:
Hey all; I am trying to understand why my live image boots fine on some systems and not others.

I followed the directions for the minimal (128MB) live image at https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/examples.en.html

I've got a booting image, 194MB, by adding the package that provides init.
There are in total 3 packages that contain init:
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=init&mode=exactfilename&suite=stable&arch=any

* runit-init
* systemv-core
* systemd-sysv

The automatic generation of the live-user and auto-login works only for 'systemd-sysv':

echo "user-setup sudo systemd-sysv" > config/package-lists/recommends.list.chroot

I have not investigated whether 'user-setup' or 'sudo' are still required, but at least you will be able to get a bootable image.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

PS: I'm wondering why the live image that you got earlier would be able to boot at all...