Re: Debian Reproducible Live images Wiki page

Roland, et al,

Thank you for your reply!

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM Roland Clobus <rclobus@rclobus.nl> wrote:
> On 28/12/2021 09:20, Daniel Lewart wrote:
> > 1) Configuration
> >     What are the requirements for RAM and /dev/shm?
> >     My 8G RAM laptop defaults to 3.64G /dev/shm.
> >     This is fine for a standard image, but in order to build
> >     a gnome-core image, I needed to increase it to 6.5G.

> I've got 32GB in total RAM, my /dev/shm is per default 16GB, which is
> enough for the larger images.

> I've measured the GNOME image. After compression it is 2.9GB, before
> compression about 8.4GB. Additionally the live-build commands
> cache/download some files, so you'll need some space there as well.
> In /dev/shm I needed about 15GB, which just fits in my configuration.

This would be good to include in the Wiki page Configuration section.

> With 'only' 4GB available, I would recommend to build on a fast drive
> instead of /dev/shm.

My 8 GB RAM computer actually has ~7GB available for /dev/shm,
which is enough for standard or gnome-core images.
Fortunately, it has SSD for larger images.

> > 2) Updated preparation
> >     Code improvements:
> > wget -qN http://snapshot.notset.fr/mr/timestamp/debian/latest

> -q=--quiet -> makes sense
> -N=--timestamping -> why do you need this?

Without -N, running wget again will create a second copy named
latest.1, etc.

> > export SNAPSHOT_TIMESTAMP=$(grep result latest | cut -d\" -f4)
> > export SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=$(date -d $(echo $SNAPSHOT_TIMESTAMP |
> >          sed -E 's/^(....)(..)(..T..)(..)(..Z)/\1-\2-\3:\4:\5/') +%s)

> I see. I'm a fan of awk for slightly more complicated manipulations.
> Your versions will work as well. All tools (grep, cut, sed, awk) will be
> available in a default installation of Debian, so the choice between the
> tools appears to me to be a matter of taste.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

> > 4) Everything, or at least apt-cacher-ng and /dev/shm,
> >     should be incorporated into the Debian Live Manual at some point.

> Agreed. I plan to write those sections later.

> The configuration for apt-cacher-ng and other speed-ups will eventually
> get their own sub-section.
> The requirements for the mount point (dev,suid) need to be documented as
> well, see also https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2021/12/msg00048.html

> I would rather move the hooks and other steps to guarantee
> reproducibility to a script that is located somewhere in the live-build
> repository itself.

All excellent.

Thank you again!
Daniel Lewart