Trouble with running on non-debian systems.

Reading https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/installation.en.html#110:

"Note that using Debian or a Debian-derived distribution is not required"

I am trying to run it on a centos6 system.  I have all the stated requirements.  Live build is installed via git clone and make install.  running lb build I get:

[2020-11-27 03:15:22] lb bootstrap_debootstrap
P: Begin bootstrapping system...
E: You need to install debootstrap on your host system.
E: An unexpected failure occurred, exiting...

I had debootstrap 1.0.100 or so rpm installed (from epel?)  I thought that may be too old, so I removed that and installed debootstrap 1.0.123 by extracting the deb straight to the filesystem.  Now I have:

[root@el6 ~]# debootstrap --version
debootstrap 1.0.123
[root@el6 ~]# which debootstrap
/usr/sbin/debootstrap

Exact same result, "You need to install debootstrap...."

Reading through /usr/lib/live/build/bootstrap_debootstrap, it's running "Check_package host bin/debootstrap debootstrap"

Reading through /usr/share/live/build/functions/packages.sh, it's running dpkg-query to find if the package is installed.

It looks like this is never going to work on other than deb based systems, and the manual on the above URL is simply inconsistent with reality....

Any hints? Web page need updating?

Thanks,
Alex