Re: Porting the standard image from live-wrapper to live-build

Hi,

Roland Clobus wrote:
> * xorriso complains about issues with Joliet (symlinks not supported,
> volid too long)

Joliet uses 16-bit characters which halves the field length in the
supplementary volume descriptor of Joliet. So no workaround is possible
other than shortening the volume id.

If there is knowledge how to represent symbolic links in Joliet so that
MS-Windows understands them, i'd be willing to work on an implementation
in libisofs.

> ** AP: Do we need support for Joliet? Untested: does Windows XP/7/10
> support RockRidge sufficiently well? And is it needed?

I am not aware that any MS-Windows system supports Rock Ridge natively.
There might be add-on software which can.

Having Joliet filenames of up to 64 characters length is better than
having ISO 9660 names of limited charset and max length 31.
It opens a better path to a copy method onto USB stick which is popular
among MS users. They simply copy all files from the ISO into a FAT
partition.
If a copy of /EFI/BOOT from the ISO's EFI partition is among them or gets
added, then the result is said to boot on all EFI firmwares.

See the complaint of the author of Rufus when Ubuntu hid the /EFI/BOOT
equipment in its new ISO layout:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/casper/+bug/1895131

When looking into mounted
  debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso
  debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso
i see
  /EFI/boot
  /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
  /EFI/boot/grubx64.efi
The files match those in the EFI partition image
  /boot/grub/efi.img
But the partition image contains an additional file
  /efi/debian/grub.cfg

Maybe one should put it into the /EFI/boot/ directory of the ISO ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas