Re: [live-build] "W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file 'xxx'..."

On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 17:23 +0000, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 15:31 +0000, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> > double checking some of my recent contributions with further test
> > runs,
> > one of the issues on my todo list to look into is that when
> > creation
> > of
> > the source disc is turned on, I'm seeing the following for each
> > source
> > package download:
> >
> > ```
> > Picking 'audit' as source package instead of 'libaudit-common'
> > NOTICE: 'audit' packaging is maintained in the 'Git' version
> > control
> > system at:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/audit.git
> > Please use:
> > git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/audit.git
> > to retrieve the latest (possibly unreleased) updates to the
> > package.
> > Need to get 1143 kB of source archives.
> > Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main audit 1:2.8.4-3
> > (dsc)
> > [2483 B]
> > Get:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main audit 1:2.8.4-3
> > (tar)
> > [1124 kB]
> > Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main audit 1:2.8.4-3
> > (diff)
> > [16.7 kB]
> > Fetched 1143 kB in 1s (867 kB/s)
> > Download complete and in download only mode
> > W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file 'audit_2.8.4-
> > 3.dsc' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13:
> > Permission denied)
> > ```
> >
> > note the troubling warning at the end.
> >
> > with a lot to do I have not yet even determined whether this is a
> > new
> > problem that has surfaced from my changes on master to the source
> > stage, specifically I made a change to have files downloaded to a
> > new
> > empty folder rather the the root of chroot, so perhaps we need to
> > change the owner of that directory to satisfy apt/aptitude?, or
> > whether
> > it already existed beforehand.
> >
> > help solving this would be appreciated if anyone can get to an
> > understanding of the problem before I do.
>
> brief update, so it does indeed occur on the current release in sid
> so
> has nothing to do with my contribution changes.
>
> i'll try pushing on ahead with investigating and either push an MR or
> bug report at some point later...
>
> perhaps a google search might also be a good idea (will go do that
> now)...

Okay so I've solved this. MR to be submitted shortly.

for those interested (anyone? :p) previously source packages would be
downloaded to the root directory of the chroot, which required root
permission, hence the errors. in one of my recent contributions that
has been merged I have changed things so that the packages are
downloaded to a new empty directory, but that is still owned by root
and with permissions of 755. I've just tried changing that to 777 to
give this '_apt' user access, and that solves it. So we just need a
line to set the permission of this new directory I had it create to 777
and bug fixed! yay!!