Re: About your live-build contributions

Hi Lyndon,

On Tue, 03 Mar 2020, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> I understand. Just to summarise before I expand on things, I
> contributed a lot of work on LB back around 2015 which never made it
> into master, and this is a resubmission (partial so far) of that work,
> because I'd like to see it merged rather than gone to waste. :)

Ok. Still, you should have discussed this beforehand and you should have
submitted stuff gradually as we merge your contributions.

I could have told you that:

1/ I don't need Debian bug numbers for everything

2/ I don't want Debian bug numbers in commit titles or merge request
   titles

3/ You need to add "Closes: #XXXX" in the long description to actually
trigger the tagpending hook, get noticed by "gbp dch" and thus properly
handle any Debian bug report.

4/ you should leave write access to the live-build committers when you
submit your merge requests so that we can trigger the rebase on our side
and/or append commits on our own

I merged the first MR and I'm already stuck because the others are
obviously not a fast-forward and I can't rebase them from the web
interface. https://salsa.debian.org/live-team/live-build/-/merge_requests/34

> I ditched the original plan of just sending one email in part because I
> recalled one of your reviews of an old 2015 submission asking for
> individual bug reports for individual bugs if resubmitting a rebased

Well, yes, we need to keep separate stuff separate, but I don't need a bug
and a MR. And refactoring is not a bug and not a feature. That kind of
stuff can be lumped together in a single MR with multiple commits.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁