Bits from highvoltage testing live images

Hi Live team!

To avoid what happened last release, my intent is to do a lot of testing
and reporting back on the state of our live images. I meant to do a lot
more of this by now, but life gets in the way some times. At least it's
not too late yet, so here goes!

I'm also mentioning things that I intend to change or file bugs for, if
you disagree, please comment on related filed bugs or on this mail.

1. Plymouth splash.

I notice none of the images have plymouth installed, splash is a nice
feature on live images and I think we should have it.

2. LXDE Boot time.

The LXDE iso takes a very long time to boot. I can look into it some
time but I guess there's some startup job that gets stuck and eventually
times out.

3. LXDE: Startling pop-up.

LXDE pops up a message about clipit preferences on startup. I think we
should talk to the lxde packages about the best way to remove that. It's
really somewhat disturbing to users who want to try out this live image
and I don't think the benefit of having the preference outways that.

4. KDE: Pop-up

KDE pops up a message notifying that it finished indexing some cache. I
don't think that's very useful to anyone in a live session.

5. Cinnamon Popup

Cinnamon warns that it's running in software rendering mode. I
understand upstream's intention on warning the user about deminished
performance, but not sure if it's really worth while on a live session
on a VM.

5. Calamares on GNOME

Calamares doesn't currently run on GNOME due to root access working
really differently under wayland and I need to fix the
calamares-settings-debian package to configure it correctly but that
needs some more investigation (help on that welcomed).

6. ibus popup (All GTK sessions)

I filed a bug for this one a while back. Haven't heared back from
maintainer since my last comment.

7. Xfce missing icon

Icon theme used on Xfce has a missing icon for "Run Program".

8. Screensavers

Screensavers activate in the live session, resulting in that the user
needs to know that the username/password combinations is user/live.
Should be easy enough to stop the screensavers in the live sessions with
some gconf/gsettings/etc settings in the live packages.

9. Ejecting too soon

It seems like the media is ejected to soon when rebooting, I saw some
squashfs read errors flash by when rebooting, and the virtual CD was
already ejected according to virtualbox early in the reboot process.

Really nice worth mentioning:

* Kernel 4.18 with virtualbox display drivers are great! It's really
nice being able to resize windows and having the desktop respond
(although lxde doesn't seem to support this, but can live with that)

It's getting late for now, this was just light testing on all images and
I tested Calamares, I didn't get to UEFI or LUKS or installing using d-i
this time.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage