Re: Missing the rescue CD image, what can I do?

[ Added cc to debian-live ]

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 08:41:33AM +0100, Jose M Calhariz wrote:

>Hi,

Hi Jose!

>I miss the old rescue images, they were usefull because they had
>software that is no longer present on the new images, like for example
>amanda to do bare bones recover from backups.  While is possible to
>use the new images, is a little annoying to have to install the extra
>software or have to discover the package that have a missing binary.
>
>I have cloned the repo debian-cd and I would like some tips to speed
>up the understanding how much work is needed to reintroduce the rescue
>images for stretch or buster.
>
>I am at DebCamp18 and I am willing to talk with anyone to help to make
>new rescue images.

The place to be working on this is the live-tasks repo/source package
[1] first. That's where the tasks are defined for our live builds to
use. Once there's a task defined there and in the archive, we can add
it in the live-setup repo [2] so it'll be built regularly alongside
the images for the graphical desktops.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/live-team/live-tasks.git
[2] https://salsa.debian.org:images-team/live-setup.git

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back