Question regarding debian-live boot process

Hi List,

Using a (self-built, and otherwise working) Debian-Live image in a
machine with two ethernet ports (of which only one is connected to
another device) results in a short hang at boot, with the message

"ifup: waiting for lock on /run/network/ifstate.eth1"

It will continue booting after a minute or so.

Is there a method of telling live-boot at boot "when you've found one
working ethernet interface, skip the others"?

I'm aware I could try blacklisting the module, or maybe blacklist by PCI
id/address, but I'm looking for something more generic, so I can plug
the media into any random x86/amd64 computer that has two or more
ethernet ports, but only one of them actually connected.

The image is based on Debian 9 (and sysvinit rather than systemd), but
built on Debian 8 using live-build 4.0.3-1.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur