Re: Boot .iso with GRUB2

Hi,

Narcis Garcia wrote:
> I've tried this with no luck:
> iso_path="/debian-live-9.4.0-amd64-gnome.iso"
>       linux  /live/vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64 boot=live components "${loopback}"
>       initrd /live/initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64
>
> Results in:
> [...] ... mounted filesystem...

So GRUB obviously found the ISO and started the kernel with that initrd.

> (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

A possible emitter of this message is in the initrd inside the ISO.

  gunzip < /mnt/iso/live/initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64 | strings | less

produces the string
  Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
and leads me via "livefs_root", "find_livefs", "check_dev" to
  fromiso=

Dunno whether
  https://manpages.debian.org/testing/live-boot-doc/live-boot.7.en.html
is applicable to debian-live-9.4.0-amd64-gnome.iso, but it has

  findiso=/PATH/TO/IMAGE
    Look for the specified ISO file on all disks where it usually looks
    for the .squashfs file (so you don't have to know the device name
    as in fromiso=....).

  fromiso=/PATH/TO/IMAGE
    Use a filesystem from within an ISO image that's available on
    live-media.

If this does not yield insight, then one will have to unpack the compressed
cpio archive initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64, to identify the script that bears the
code about "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system", and
to find out how to make it accept a ISO image file instead of e.g. a CD-ROM
device.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas