Re: Adding support for ONIE to Debian Live

On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 08:27 +0800, Steven Shiau wrote:
> On 3/20/2018 AM 06:14, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > I hope this can be useful for others
>
> Yes, exactly! This is great! We recently need this feature and you
> have
> made it and share that. Cool!
> BTW, did you have the same experience about booting ARM32 ONIE
> switch?
> Some of the switches listed on the ONIE website are ARM32 CPU:
> http://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Networking/ONIE/HW_Status
> We submitted a patch to Debian live ARM64 last month, but did not go
> further to make that for ARM32.
> Besides, did you have any experience to boot the Debian live system
> from
> USB of ONIE switch? If so, could you please also share the
> experience.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Steven

Glad it can be helpful :-)

It was Erik who worked with the hardware, I'll ask him if he can
comment - I just used the VM as mentioned in the first email to port
and test.

We have not done anything with ARM32 so I'm afraid I can't provide info
on that.

The diffset that was merged has one x86-specific bit when repacking the
initrd (parameters passed to xz), so to use it on ARM you'll probably
want to detect at build time and parameterise them. Please send a PR
once you have it working!

Specifically this line:

find . | cpio -o -H newc | xz --check=crc32 --x86 --lzma2=dict=512KiB > ${WORKDIR}/initrd.img

Also you might need to support other compression formats than xz.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi