Re: Changes to consider for debian-live (calamares and gparted)

On 05/21/2018 07:06 AM, Jonathan Carter  wrote:
Dear live team

During this release cycle, I have worked on packaging calamares[0], an independent system installer framework that can be used from live media.

The intention was to package this for derivatives, and to maintain it collectively in Debian in order to avoid duplicate work. However, there's been some interest in whether we should use it on the Debian live media from both users and people on the #debian-live IRC channel.

Calamares has its pros and cons too. The pros are pretty big, it fast, friendly and relatively easy to use. On the downside, it doesn't support software RAID yet, which is probably not an issue for the majority of people who would use it (laptop, home desktop installations, etc).

Fortunately it's trivial to have both Calamares and debian-installer on the live media, so if someone needs more sophisticated partitioning, they can still use d-i.

We are due for a live alpha soon, so what would you think of adding Calamares to the next alpha so that we can get wide testing and feedback on it? And then make some more long-term decisions after that?

If I get at least one +1 and no objections, I'll go ahead and add it for the next alpha.

Additionally, I find that lots of users need/want gparted on the live media. I think it's time we add it because I've seen people stick/switch to Ubuntu just because of this, which I find rather silly but I'd rather have it on the live media if that's what our users want.

-Jonathan

[0] https://calamares.io/

Speaking only as an end user, *NOT* as developer nor deployer, adding gparted would be convenient.

As to Calamares, what might it look like to the end-user?
[https://calamares.io/] gives no hint.

[https://github.com/calamares/calamares/wiki]
    links to
[https://github.com/calamares/calamares/wiki/Users-Guide]
    saying:
The user's guide is intended to be generic instructions for
installing with Calamares, describing the various end-user
visible parts of the installation process. This is intended
as a starting point for distribution documentation, not as a
replacement for it.

There is nothing there aimed a a possible end user rather than a developer/deployer.