Re: Multiarch live CDs

[ Apologies for the delayed response - really realy busy... :-( ]

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:48:09AM +1100, Michael . wrote:
>Live wrapper has replaced live build for official images.
>Live build is still being maintained by a Debian Developer (Raphael) and is
>being used by the wider community and many Debian based offshoots.
>The link you provided for multiarch is a netinst image not a live image. As far
>as I am aware Debian has never released a multiarch live image but I am happy
>to be proven wrong.

Correct. The multiarch images we have are all installer images. We've
also now started recommending amd64 images by default instead of the
multiarch image for most people (see the link on the front page of
www.debian.org). The vast majority of machines built and sold in the
last 10 years have been 64-bit capable.

>Building a multiarch live image with live build may be possible but you will
>need 2 different squashfs filesystems at the very least. It is something I have
>wanted to try but have never had the time to sit down and work out all the
>different requirements.

Nod. For the multiarch installer images, there's at least some overlap
between packages (the -all .debs included). For a multiarch live
image, and you'd end up having two complete, separate squashfs
filesystems on the media. It's not something worth spending time on,
IMHO.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me