Re: Using initrd as livefs_root

Hi Lukas,

Mostly, except that the path to filesystem.squashfs in the initrd will
not be correct.  Something like this should yield the correct path:

    (cd ~/lbinitrd/binary; echo live/filesystem.squashfs | cpio -o -H newc) | \
        gzip --fast > filesystem.cpio.gz

I would bother using a high compression here, it's just a waste of CPU
resources as the filesystem.squashfs is already compressed.

You are correct, the path was messed up, I figured that out while testing and changed working directory as you suggested.

> At boot I get an error message, "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium
> containing a live file system". I'm guessing that the contents of the
> appended cpio archive isn't added to the initramfs.

If you still get that error after trying what I suggested above, you can
add »break« to the Linux command line parameters.  This will spawn a
shell during the early boot stage.  Once you get the shell check if
/live/filesystem.squashfs exists.

There's a busybox shell available after the error message, I've checked /live and there's only an empty subfolder named medium there.

I've also tried option 1 (adding a second initrd to the boot loader, PXELINUX), still no success.

Cheers,
Daniel